The Student News Site of NYC Museum School

The Gallery

The Gallery

The Gallery

Welcoming NYC Museum School’s Second Annual Carnival

Sarah Chen
Editors in Chief Julia Hendler (left) and Alexa Rodriguez (right) ready to sell tickets!

The Gallery returns on Thursday, February 29, with Museum School’s own annual Winter Carnival. All students will have a chance to go down to the gym and participate in a variety of fun activities and games. Just like last year, The Gallery will use all funds raised to pay for journalism students to attend Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s 100th Conference in the spring.

Students can expect games such as the toilet paper toss, ring toss, basketball, bowling, donut eating contest, the ever-popular Pie a Teacher booth, and many more attractions. Two free tickets will be handed out to each student upon entry, however they are also being sold beforehand Monday through Wednesday, February 26-28. Tickets cost $1 for 5 tickets, compared to $1 for 4 tickets on the day of the carnival. Games will cost 2-4 tickets to play. Refreshments such as chips, cookies, iced tea, popcorn and Belgian Waffles with toppings will be available for sale.

Ms. Destefano, advisor for The Gallery, said that this is a “community building event” for both students and teachers to have a good time. “It was a group effort, with everyone on The Gallery staff pitching in.” Assistant principal Ms. Hindelong was happy to see the carnival make a return. She said she is “proud of the work that The Gallery did to pull it together.” 

Museum school senior Anita Uddin said, “I think it brings the community together.” The winter carnival is a way for students to engage with each other, not only through academics but also outside their grade. Uddin added, “A lot of the events, they make people realize you’re not alone.” 

Eva Lapidos, a freshman, sees the carnival as an opportunity to get closer with the other freshmen in a fun setting. “I think that hanging out with them more, will deepen my connection.”

Due to the carnival’s success from last year, students and teachers from all grades have expressed their excitement about the event. While this is not the first school wide event, it is one of the more recent and interactive events Museum School has seen. 

Allowing students to connect better with their school is extremely important to student health. Ms. Hindelong said, “We have heard that firsthand from students and faculty members, so this is why administration continues to support different events and activities.”

Mr. Wassmuth, 10th grade Earth Science and AP Environmental Science teacher, said, “It’s more time to come together as a school which is really nice and refreshing.” Mr. Wassmuth was one of the teachers who took part in Pie a Teacher last carnival, along with Mr. Johnson, who teaches US History and AP US History. 

For this year’s carnival, students are also having high expectations. Karuna Biswas, a junior, said, “I’m expecting good food and better games.” Biswas also said she would also like to see the carnival being held outside in the newly renovated courtyard. 

Sophomore Alexis Chan said she expected there to be “fun games and good prizes to make it compelling.” Kaitlyn Wong, a junior, said, “I want a lot more teachers to volunteer for Pie a Teacher and I think the food will be really bomb.” 

As for what will be different this year, Ms Destefano said, “The only thing that will be different is that we’ve added a couple new teachers who have agreed to be pied.” She believes that The Gallery has the “winning formula” from last year.