The Student News Site of NYC Museum School

The Gallery

The Gallery

The Gallery

Red Cross Club Holds School-Wide Sock Drive

Naomi Richardson
A flyer hung by the Red Cross Club.

The Red Cross Club recently pioneered NYC Museum school’s first-ever Sock Drive, which was held in an attempt to get the often overlooked piece of clothing out to those in need in the coldest months of the year. The club urged everyone at Museum to donate brand-new socks and drop them off at the box in Ms. Williams’ office. Those who donated received one hour of community service per pair of socks. 

In 2020, Museum School senior Rachel Wang chartered the NYC Museum Red Cross Club, an official chapter of The American Red Cross. Since its founding, the club has hosted a vast array of fundraisers within the school, which go on to help many in need.

The club is currently run by senior Anita Uddin, who joined the club in the 2020-2021 school year when she was still a freshman attending the club on Zoom. Uddin was first drawn to the club and runs it now because “it allows [her] to help people in a realistic way.” Uddin wants to use her leadership skills, while also making an effort to improve not only our school and city community but the world community. Uddin holds her club meetings every Wednesday in room 233.

Uddin encouraged people to donate to the Sock Drive because “it helps someone in need. A pair of socks in this cold weather is essential, and there are many people who don’t have this.” 

In the past, the club has held drives such as the Period Poverty Fundraiser, which sought to get menstrual products to those lacking easy access to them. There has also been a Holiday Coin Drive in order to collect spare change from Museum School students. The club has a Blood Drive during which they host the New York Blood Center to help facilitate the annual Blood Drive at Museum. This year, the Blood Drive will take place on April 5th, and the members of the Red Cross Club encourage all those meeting the requirements for donation to consider doing so or even helping to spread the word. 

The Sock Drive ended February 14 and was very successful with around 205 pairs of socks collected! Even though this drive has ended, there are still numerous ways to help the club. Reach out to Anita Uddin, or even sit in on one of their meetings if you’re interested!