New School Yard Renovations

Naomi Richardson, News Writer

By 2023, our schoolyard is expected to undergo a dramatic renovation. Museum School, along with Lab Middle and High School, have partnered with the nonprofit organization, Trust For Public Land, to get this done. 

Founded in 1974, this organization works with schools all over the country to promote spaces that are both environmentally friendly and appealing to students. 

Museum School freshmen Aoife Moriarty and Leo O’Connell are on the schoolyard committee, a team formed to give student voice to this project. This team is inclusive to all grades and schools within the building. 

The purpose of the committee, according to Moriarty, is to “make the most sustainable and enjoyable outdoor area.” Moriarty also added that the committee finds it important to have an outdoor space because “it gives us an opportunity to be outdoors and enjoy hanging out while legitimately helping the environment.”

From the responses garnered in a school-wide survey, spaces dedicated towards sports, such as turf fields and basketball courts, are the most popular. Art and outdoor learning spaces were also suggested. O’Connell said, “The schoolyard is being completely reimagined [in hopes that] all three schools in our building can utilize it equally.”

According to the Trust For Public Land and members on its committee, the courtyard is expected to be finished by the end of next year. However, sophomore Elise Edmonds responded with doubt, believing that the plans could be pushed back due to “off and on rising cases of Covid in Lab and Museum at the moment.” 

Do rising Covid-19 cases have the potential to hinder the renovation of our yard? The student body hopes not, as the yard, with its four basketball hoops, running lanes and some benches, are not seen as an optimal way to utilize the space. Currently, there is nothing concrete saying that the schoolyard renovations could be slowed down, but if that becomes the case, how would it affect the student and faculty population? 

Junior Kymberli Smith said that not being able to use the yard is “not that big of an inconvenience.” This is especially because Museum school doesn’t spend much time in the yard to begin with. Instead, Lab middle Schoolers utilize the outdoor space much more often. Smith added that “I’m really excited about it, actually. I think it’s going to be really good for our school.”

As a way to update students across Lab and Museum Schools on the plans currently taking place, a bulletin board in the hallway outside our cafeteria has been dedicated to it. The wall provides information about the schoolyard, some ideas, as well as a timeline for its construction. 

On May 23rd an email was sent out by the principal of the Museum School, Mr. Rodrigues, giving the student body a choice between two schoolyard designs. The designs are also seen posted on the bulletin board. 

Schematic Plan 2
Schematic Plan 1

Ms. Hindelong, Museum School’s Assistant Principal, said that “we got lucky” to have been chosen for the yard renovations and to have the thoughts and ideas of our own students put into something made for all of us.

Along with uncertainties surrounding the time frame for its construction, there is another concern with three schools sharing one space. How realistic is it for everyone in the building to be able to use it equally? Principal Rodrigues answered this question by saying “We are looking forward to sharing this revitalized space with our campus community.”

Ms. Carr, one of the freshman Global Studies teachers, is hopeful for a shared space, although she mentions that it is “not realistic unless policies change.”  Ms. Carr also mentions that there should be a “campus-wide effort for everyone to use it equally.”  Freshman Ben Tripp also wants to see the schoolyard become a shared space, and he added that “the new schoolyard may inspire change.” Although he hopes for a change in policy. like Ms. Carr, Tripp is also unsure about if the yard will be able to be shared; he says that the possibility of a shared schoolyard is “as realistic as it is now.”

Many students expressed their hope that this new and improved space will be “a schoolyard for all,” as Ms. Hindelong put it. Smith agreed, suggesting, “Maybe we can take wellness breaks out there.” Either way, much is to be anticipated with this new yard.