NYC Museum Students Walk Out in Support of Roe v. Wade

NYC Museum students participate in walkout for abortion rights.

Nova Brent, News Writer

On May 9, rise4abortionrights, an organization devoted to promoting peaceful protest and nonviolent resistance, posted on their instagram account calling for New York City students to walk out of their schools May 12 at 1p.m..  NYC Museum School students heeded the call, marching from Union Square to Washington Square Park, holding their signs up and chanting into the crowd. Some individuals even went inside the fountain at Washington Square Park in support of the movement. 

NYC Museum School students attended the walkout, as they were eager to make their voices heard and make a difference. Sophomore Arleth Marcelino explained, “This is how you get your message heard, you have to do things that will get attention.” She continued, “A bunch of students walking out of their classes in the middle of the school day will get much more attention than if the protest were on a weekend.” 

Sophomore Abigail Gottesman added, “It’s good to spread awareness about the issue, aside from social media platforms, as getting on the news spreads information to an even greater number of people.” 

For many students, this wasn’t their first time taking political action.  “I have taken a lot of political action in the past, I have marched in protests for Black Lives Matter, for Gun Control, and I have written letters and emails to Congress,” said Gottesman. 

At the same time, for some students the walkout was their first time taking this sort of action. Sophomore Ella Veith explained, “This was the first protest I have been to alone. It was really cool seeing everyone there around my age fighting for something they really cared about.”

Marcelino described how being at the protest felt like a supportive environment. “The experience was really good. Everyone had good energy and was on the same page about what we wanted. Surprisingly, there wasn’t really any opposition to the cause. No one was screaming harmful things into the crowd or telling us to stop.” 

Many students thought it was eye opening to see so many young people in the crowd. “There were so many different people, coming from elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and colleges at the protest,” said Gottesman. Marcelino added, “It was sad to see that there were so many young children there. These children are ten years old and are already having to fight for their rights.”