The Student News Site of NYC Museum School

The Gallery

The Gallery

The Gallery

Black History Month: Spotlight on Justice Thurgood Marshall

Official photo of Justice Thurgood Marshall

Thurgood Marshall, aka “Mr. Civil Rights,” left an indelible mark on the history of civil rights through the pursuit of racial justice. Brought up during a time when many Jim Crow laws were still in effect,  he was acutely aware of the social injustices African Americans faced. Education had always been important in Marshall’s views of success, and becoming aware of the disparity in the quality of education provided to African Americans and White Americans impelled him to end segregation with Charles Hamilton Houston. Together they formed the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, an organization that was instrumental in the movement against racial segregation and discrimination. 

He endeavored to tear down the remnants of Jim Crow laws through various court cases, the most significant being Brown v. Board of Education (1954). Marshall recognized the flaws in the “separate but equal” doctrine established in Plessy v. Ferguson (1896), which allowed segregation of public facilities based on race. Brown v. Board directly challenged the doctrine, arguing that it was intrinsically unfair and had a pernicious impact on African Americans by creating unequal educational opportunities.

As lead attorney for the plaintiffs, Marshall’s assiduous fight for justice resulted in the landmark ruling, with the Supreme Court unanimously declaring that racial segregation in public schools was unconstitutional. Marshall’s involvement in Brown v. Board played a pivotal role in dismantling the legal foundations upon which segregation had been built. Through his efforts, public places slowly became less segregated, and the civil rights movement had a paved path to walk on. 

He worked to dismantle Jim Crow laws through various other rulings, such as Smith v. Allwright (1944), Shelley v. Kraemer (1948), Sweatt v. Painter (1950), and McLaurin v. Oklahoma Board of Regents of Higher Education (1950). Having fought so tirelessly for racial equality, he caught the attention of President John F. Kennedy, who appointed him to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit. In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed Marshall to the position of Solicitor General, arguing cases on behalf of the U.S. government before the Supreme Court. 

Two years later, on August 30, 1967, Johnson appointed Marshall to the Supreme Court. This was a remarkable day in history, as Marshall became the first African American Supreme Court Justice. Using the power of knowledge and education, he tore down the remnants of Jim Crow laws, changing the face of history so future generations would not experience what he had. Thurgood Marshall was a crusader for racial equality, and his legacy has forever transformed the American landscape.