The Student News Site of NYC Museum School

The Gallery

The Gallery

The Gallery

Seven Ways to Live Your Best French Life

Gaspar Souchard
Casual fit, casual walk.

We reached out to our most reliable source, France enthusiast Gaspar Souchard. Gaspar lived in France for eight years, still owning residences in the South and the 11th Arrondissement in Paris, with perennial visits. Gaspar knows that a French lifestyle is the esteemed lifestyle, while making sure everyone else is aware, as well. He attracts much attention by speaking the language fluently, dressing chic, and drinking his daily coffee. But Gaspar wants everyone to know that being French goes past what meets the eye. We’ve brought him here to share his story in order to help all the culturally deprived Americans live out their French dreams.

1. Relax: Nonchalance is Key

The most prevalent difference between Americans and French people is how rushed Americans are, Gaspar notes. Almost instantly, he refers to the constant movement of the American people. America has a work culture, encouraging making money over anything else. France focuses on living your life. Walk slower, have longer meals, and take a day off. Being too hyper and “on” all the time is a major stressor- one that the French people have removed from their lives.

2. Create a Routine, But Don’t Be a Stickler

Gaspar has his daily routines- with his breakfasts usually consisting of toast, a cup of coffee, and a Tabasco stick on the side. It allows him to maintain control and serenity. “Incorporating consistency into your day guarantees that you won’t get too caught up in life’s hassles.” With this being said, don’t be a stickler. Be flexible and spontaneous. Your routine will act as a safety net, but don’t be afraid to walk the tightrope. 

3. Make Sure You Always Have a Good Book

The French people are big humanists. With their culture emphasizing appreciating life, the arts, and education, reading is a common pastime among French people. At the moment, Gaspar is reading The Social Contract, by Jean-Jacques Rousseau. The French value knowledge. Ending his nights with around forty-five minutes of reading rather than television, he makes sure to keep his brain active until the very end of his day. Instead of being on your phone the entire train ride to school, try picking up a book. I’m sure Gaspar can offer many recommendations!

4. Present Yourself With Confidence

Anywhere you go, people tell you to be confident. This is extremely important in France. Look good, smell good, feel good, be good. Gaspar always stands tall, but relaxed. He encourages good posture and hygiene. Many French people have a signature perfume or cologne scent. When choosing this, make sure it’s something you’d want to wear everyday that reflects your personality. Gaspar prefers Le Labo 33, but also suggests Hermes’ Eau De Toilette and Cartier’s Le Blanc. Keeping your head up while walking and acting like you are better than everyone else guarantees a French appeal.

5. Indulge in The Best Parts of French Culture

Indulging in French culture is crucial! Gaspar mentions some of his favorite artists: Serge Gainsbourg, Nino Ferrer, Johnny Hallyday, Edith Piaf, and Jacque Brel. Music in France is popular, just like in America! But the French experience goes beyond music. There’s a culinary journey that you also must try. Gaspar recommends des chouquettes, une viennoise au chocolat, coq au vin, soupe, and kebabs. Try to engage in casual interactions, whether at a party, cafe, or even on the street. Understanding the colloquial slang of France in everyday interactions is a way to feel like a ‘local’! Words like la teuf for partying,, bigo for your phone, misquine and beleke for sympathy and a warning, are expressions to connect yourself to French street culture

6. Always Look Put-Together, Regardless of How Casual Your Outfit Is

The key to a “chic look” comes from the way you dress. No matter how casual your outfit is, it can always be accessorized. Gaspar’s outlook is that the French know how to style even the most basic clothing. A sophisticated look is always intentional. Gaspar mentions that a loose-fitted button up or a casual white-tee with straight-fitted jeans is the go-to outfit. Some accessories to help ‘spice up’ the fits are ascots, jewelry, caps, and Tabasco sticks. “Don’t try too hard,” Gaspar says, “there’s a special oomph in the French appearance that gives off an effortless look.

7. Be yourself (just not out loud) 

“Americans are so loud, it’s a dead giveaway. We [the French people] are quiet and laid-back.” French people tend to radiate a sense of collectiveness, appreciating moments of quiet reflection. This is in contrast to American culture, where extrovertedness is the goal. To achieve the French aesthetic, try incorporating a more collected demeanor in your day-to-day life. By embracing authenticity and appreciating moments of calmness, you can live your best French life, filled with your own unique elegance.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Gallery

Your donation will support the student journalists of NYC Museum School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.