AP Position Filled: Museum School Hires Mr. Vicente Viteri

Mr. Viteri, ready to welcome students into his office.

Julia Hendler, News Editor

Early this month, Mr. Vicente Viteri joined the Museum School’s administrative team as interim-acting assistant principal. Viteri has a background in Chemistry and previously taught the sciences at University Neighborhood High School in the Lower East Side. 

The AP position is still open to applicants, but historically the interim-acting individual is made permanent (i.e., Mr. Rodrigues’ path to acting principal).

Although appointing (assistant) principals in the NYC Department of Education is standardized by the Chancellor’s C-30 process, which ranks candidates based on responses to district and school-specific questions, there is still room for feedback from the community.

Upon previous AP Lowy’s departure, a hiring committee was formed. The group—composed of teachers, parents, students, and a Superintendent designee—named three qualities they were looking for: someone who can embrace the community, has strong teaching credentials, and is systems-driven.

Ms. Schleissmann, a math teacher on the committee, said she was “thankful for a voice in the process and the ability to speak with the candidates.”

So, why Mr. Viteri? Saniya Dixon, a junior and committee member, stated, “When I attended the interview with Mr. Viteri, I noticed how prepared he was to take on the role of AP. He has a lot of different ideas he has planned, and I think they will benefit our school drastically.”

Principal Rodrigues stated, “We were looking for someone who would embrace the community and work we are trying to do. Someone who thinks about the students in every decision.”

Junior Zara Leung echoed this and said, “An assistant principal should gain trust and try their best to build relationships with students, especially during this time because we need support from the stress of tests.”

Besides his enthusiasm for the job, Principal Rodrigues said that Mr. Viteri’s “STEM [an acronym for science, technology, engineering, and math] mind will be beneficial, as that’s an area of the school that we would like to grow— STEM modules and science and math classes.” 

Throughout his teaching career, Mr. Viteri has improved the experience of students with learning disabilities. In fifth grade, Viteri was diagnosed with dyslexia. He struggled academically during elementary school, saying, “My father was disappointed when I didn’t do well. He would come home after work and see me doing my homework. He would ask, ‘how long have you been here?’ and I would tell him I had been working since I got home. He would get angry with me because when he read the questions out loud, I could answer them immediately.”

Furthermore, he stated, “My educational journey has a lot to do with the support I had—or lack thereof. There are a lot of students in classrooms who aren’t engaged intellectually, which is something I feel strongly about.”

Science and Special Education teacher Ms. Rathgeb noted, “He has been very helpful and interested in getting to know the science and math teachers. He also seems willing to share different teaching methods.” 

Lilian Shepard, a sophomore, said, “I don’t know much about Mr. Viteri, but I’m hoping that changes with time and as he starts working more in the classroom.”

Principal Rodrigues said, “It was challenging to hire an assistant principal mid-year, but I already feel confident that I can focus on other priorities, and Mr. Viteri can start working with data and other matters that Ms. Hindelong and I just couldn’t get done on our own.”

Sarah Chen, a sophomore, stated, “I think it’s good to have someone new at school. Mr. Viteri is a fresh perspective, and I’m excited to see what he does.” 

With that, welcome to Museum, Assistant Principal Viteri!