An Inside Look at Dr. Gertrude Kelly Playground

Dr. Gertrude B. Kelly Playground, or ‘Kelly Park,’ is located in the heart of Chelsea and across the street from N.Y.C Museum School. The park is a place where students from several schools in the surrounding area spend their free time during lunch, after school, and even before the school day begins. However, the park has become exceedingly controversial.  

Despite the playground’s large size for its city setting, play structures, and quite a few options for activities, it is also known for the numerous fights that occur that have required police involvement, as well as multiple accounts of illegal activity. Warnings have been sent to students and parents by school administration regarding the safety of the park in the past, but this has not stopped people from enjoying the park.

Although the park may initially seem dangerous because of the alleged crimes, to the kids and teachers who spend almost every day passing by it or even hanging out there it has more sentimental value. It’s a spot for playing with friends and acts as a reminder of fun times, and most people feel that the park is a safe place to eat and enjoy time with friends.

Ella Veith, a sophomore at Museum School, explained how her lunch group often eats lunch and hangs out by the park because it’s a great spot and is open to everyone. “I love coming​​ to the park,” she said.  “There’s a lot of seating options so it’s very easy to have lunch here.” Vieth also expressed her optimistic views for the future of the park, as well and stated how important it has become to her in the recent school year. “I meet my friends here every day before school and also eat lunch here. I just hope that the park can be a completely safe environment so that everyone can enjoy without concern.”

Mr. Lowy, a prominent and vital figure at Museum School, acknowledged that the park may be unsafe due to low supervision and security, he also believed that the park has been a special place that plays a big role in the school community. “I think it’s nice to have a neighborhood park where people at our school can have a place to be outside and I have no problem with students using the park; that’s what it’s there for.” 

Students from different grade levels expressed a common theme of gratitude for the park’s accessibility and the overall function it serves to the Museum School community. Freshman Shari Merrzel stated,  “I go to the park twice or three times a week for lunch. I usually sit on a play structure and eat with my friends”

No matter if you are just stopping by, or walking through the park to get to the other side of the street you will most likely see people playing basketball. One of the park’s many features is an (almost) full-sized basketball court which is just about constantly in use by students from Lab and Museum before and after school. The basketball court is a very lively and energetic area of the playground that often brings people from surrounding schools and those who live in the neighborhood together to play games of basketball. 

Elyes Bouchik, a Sophomore at Museum who visits the park daily to play basketball had plenty to say about the break the park gives him from his strenuous school day. “School is sometimes stressful and you can come here during lunch and after school to play.” 

Officer Williams also reinforced the idea that the security at the park is too low.  When asked about how she would improve the park, Officer Williams said, “Maybe more policing over there, and allow for more student reports.” According to officer Williams, “The park has been here for years and is a part of Chelsea, so while it has both its negative and positive things, I feel like it brings all the schools together, and it’s a great place to meet people, outside of the little incidents that do happen.” 

Although this won’t offer an reassurance to those trying to change their perspective of the park to one that’s more positive, officer Williams also stated “Most incidents that happen at the park are fights, but by the time we get there they have usually dispersed; PD is usually the ones who have the jurisdiction to deal with it.” You can’t count on the school’s security guards to keep you safe at the park next door, not because they don’t want to, but they legally can’t.