One Last Hurrah With Our Senior Class

Maya Soto, News Writer

In the song Fabulous, fictional character Sharpay Evans sings, “Good-bye, clouds of gray. Hello, skies of blue,” perfectly describing the current atmosphere of NYC Museum School’s senior class.  And with summer just around the corner, there is only one thing obstructing our seniors’ smooth transition out of high school – Regents week. 

However, with their trip to Six Flags a few weeks ago, and prom on June 8, most seniors seem to just be enjoying their last month at school. 

Still, a grueling reality is steadily approaching. It is their time to leave. Senior Scarleth Salgado said, “It didn’t hit me… that I was leaving Museum until the last two weeks of May. As everything is ending… I’m starting to feel that I am leaving the school.” She added, “It’s hard to accept that in a couple of months I will leave the city, my home, and I won’t see my friends as often anymore. I will miss walking to class together, getting lunch together and just spending time together in school. My friends mean a lot to me.”

Seniors aren’t the only ones being hit with a big change. Juniors will be rising seniors, taking their positions as the oldest group of students in the school. Many juniors are currently plagued with the ever looming pressure of senior year.  “Time management in the first half of senior year will probably be one of my greatest struggles,” said Cindy Jiang, a junior.  “Finding a healthy balance between my schoolwork, college applications, volleyball, and other commitments will definitely be challenging, and I’m not sure I’m ready for that.”

Junior Samuel Lee, also expressed his concern with senior year.  He said, “I plan on taking AP Bio next year. And the thing about AP Bio is, a lot of it is based off memorization. And I think because of that, I’ll struggle a lot.”

For Samuel, Scarleth has a good piece of advice: “For your AP classes, if you need help, go during office hours. If your teacher has after-school tutoring, it’s best to go even if you think you don’t need the help.”

And for the seniors, Mr Johnson, the US History, APUSH, and AP Gov teacher, encourages them by saying, “For your life, try and figure out something that both makes you happy and also improves the world in some way.”