Time for a Change: Welcoming Mr. Rodrigues to NYC Museum School

Mr.+Rodrigues+%E2%80%98Kicks+Off%E2%80%99+a+New+Era+at+Museum+School+

Katlyn Martins

Mr. Rodrigues ‘Kicks Off’ a New Era at Museum School

Many transitions and upheavals marked the beginning of this academic year. With New York City Museum School’s move back to in-person learning, there was no better time for big changes, the foremost of which was the introduction of our new principal. 

Since beginning his administrative role in June of 2021, Principal Andre Rodrigues has worked towards improving student education and strengthening the sense of community at Museum School. His end goals are simple: “To create a school that doesn’t only challenge students but also supports them, a school where students feel like they have an influence on the decisions that are made.” 

During the summer of 2021, Principal Rodrigues met with students, faculty, and parents to start putting these ideals into action. Since then, he has led initiatives like Pizza with the Principal and the Wellness Committee, both which encourage student-faculty interaction and promote a safe space. “We’re elevating student voice,” he stated. “We have students on committees from the instructional leadership team to the grading policy committee.” 

And the transition has gone well, according to many community members. “Mr. Rodrigues did a great job of leading the transition out of remote learning in such a way that I felt the students were supported and adjusted to the change smoothly,” said Ms. Conroy from the Parent Teacher Association. 

While Mr. Rodrigues said he aims to achieve a more cohesive relationship between students and faculty, some students feel like this goal needs to manifest itself in stronger leadership. Senior Kai Portalatin, Student Body President said, “We need more leadership from the administration. From the teachers. Definitely a more firm hand on how things are run.” This is a popular sentiment among the student body, with many classes being interrupted by disruptive students, and other students feeling like their learning is being hurt. 

Much has been accomplished in this regard since the principal’s arrival, but it would seem there is much more to be done. As of now, Mr. Rodrigues has created more opportunities for student agency and involvement– finding a balance between this goal and the clear need for an authoritative administration remains an issue for many teachers and students. 

In classrooms, he wishes to “ensure that teachers know every student well and… welcome [them] with a warm and friendly environment.” This connection, he believes, would encourage students to be more engaged in class. “Down the road,’ he adds, “we’re looking to have students and teachers collaborate on lesson studies.” 

In preparation for the upcoming testing season, Mr. Rodrigues also revealed that he and the members of the Wellness Team have spent a “significant portion” of their budget hiring consultants from Elevate Education to talk to the students. 

These consultants focus on issues like time management and test anxiety. They also have strategies on how to better prepare students for exams such as study groups and through compartmentalizing stress. Mr. Rodrigues said he hopes that this opportunity can really make an impact on helping students with their stress. 

To build a greater sense of community, events like the “Ice Cream Social ” last October were also meant to give students a rare opportunity to interact across all grades and friend groups. Mr. Rodrigues was there too, ready for his first chance to interact directly with students. Junior Noah BenZion said, “He is very relatable. He even played football with us… [during the] social.” 

“Really, he’s been trying to create opportunities for students to be more connected to the school through different events,” Assistant Principal Ms. Hindelong said.  “He is one hundred percent for the students, making sure they feel heard and are heard.”

Another emphasis is currently being placed on how welcoming our school looks. When asked about what still needed improvement, Sophomore Sarabelle Wolter said, “I wish the halls were more colorful… and decorated.” On this matter, the school’s art and health teacher Ms. Abraham revealed that the principal has been very open-minded. She has been able to explore possibilities that were not necessarily open before, hoping to obtain more art electives for the students and to display more art in the hallways. “It’s the Museum School,” she said, “And it should reflect the name in itself.”

Considering how diverse a community Museum is, Mr. Rodrigues and the school at large see the value in funding out arts program, giving students a greater outlet to express themselves.“I think we have rich cultural fabric here,” Mr. Rodrigues added. “Expanding the arts would be really powerful for us.”

With Mr. Rodrigues’s first year nearing its close, students have expressed a positive opinion on his administrative direction. Freshman Soriya Potter and Sophomore Annie Layne who have not really interacted with him felt that he “cared” and really tried to make students feel “comfortable at school.”

Those who have interacted with him more take away fond memories. When asked about her most memorable interaction with the principal, Junior Zoe Renazile-Winter shared that “Armend and myself had a 30 minute conversation about sneakers with him.” 

And as Mr. Rodreigues continues his administrative role, he offers his time to anyone with concerns regarding their experiences at school. “My door is always open,” he assures. “This is a school where student voice is heard, student voice is valued.”