Time to Pivot: Navigating Transitions in Technology

Junior+Oscar+Frayne+has+adapted+to+using+new+technology+in+the+classroom.+

Katlyn Martins

Junior Oscar Frayne has adapted to using new technology in the classroom.

Finely Eisenberg, Science & Technology Writer

The last few years have been difficult and strange. Changes have been made with limited guidance because a pandemic isn’t something that anyone was prepared for. The transitions between remote, blended and in-person learning were rapid and difficult for many involved.

“It was an immediate downward spiral that took a year and a half to recover from,” said Sophomore Zachary Semple. “While this issue eventually improved over the 2020-2021 school year, blended learning only detracted from our learning. Students were put in so-called ‘virtual rooms,’ in which students in the midst of several different Zoom calls were all put together in the same room, making it hard to participate and stay engaged.” 

The idea of online learning wasn’t a developed one; it was part of a race to provide continuity in education, and it was a shot in the dark. Throughout the experience of learning how to use Zoom and dealing with different factors, such as accessibility and problems with electronics, students had to continue living their lives, learning how to do so along the way. 

“I was fully remote in 7th grade, like everyone that year. Blended in 8th grade,” explained Freshman Ben Tripp. “I think it was hard to focus, especially in math, where many formulas were online.  But it was nice to not have to commute, too,” he added. “Now, attending school in person is much easier.”

Senior Ashish Pal said, “Honestly, I’m a go with the flow kind of guy so any difference I felt I just went with. At the beginning of the pandemic I was like ‘Alright, we’re working from home now’ and when we went back I was like ‘Alright we’re doing this now.”

But not everyone adapted so easily.  And education wasn’t the only thing that needed to be navigated. Students had to adjust to a completely new way of living and learning, while trying not to go insane from the whirlwind around them. As the storm raged on, they slowly settled into a pattern with online learning and it became less of a challenge, until we started trying to reverse it. 

“The transition between types of learning was definitely hard on most people,” said Sophomore Nicole Chan. “I know a lot of extroverts who benefit from hands-on, in person learning. Personally, I adjusted pretty easily, but the switch to remote learning had a negative impact on my motivation and focus.” 

Chan added, “Going back to in-person learning after so long virtual was definitely awkward, as everyone was adjusting. We were all in the same situation, meeting new people for the first time, adjusting to high school life for the first time a year late, and finding a balance between technology and paper. It was a learning experience, and its effects are still around today,”

One good thing that can be said with confidence is that there is a sense of pride that comes with knowing you’ve gotten through something like this, and there’s something comforting about witnessing a new kind of normal. Through all of the ups and downs, each and every one of you has made it. Now we can finally take a breather and appreciate the journey, as well as the strength it took to get here.