Reset or Crunch Time?

Should teachers assign major assessments adjacent to break?

Reset or Crunch Time?

Madison Mendoza, Opinions Editor

We all know how difficult it can be to relax during a “break” knowing we have a test or large assessment to come back to. As students, we are all burning energy to complete various tasks and tests being administered throughout the year. We all look forward to our breaks as It is an opportunity to finally relax and have some form of leisure time to ourselves, whether it’s playing video games or staying up late with friends. These plans become disrupted, however, when one of your class teachers announce that after break there will be a unit test. Great. We then are expected to use our break time to study and come back well prepared for that exam. However, this doesn’t necessarily always go as planned.

Break time is crucial to becoming a better student. It allows you to relax after all the hard work that you have been putting in at school. Without our breaks we become irritable and restless, which can and is then reflected in our work ethic. 

As we go about our days in school, we learn more material than the previous day to prepare us for unit tests which contain all the concepts previously learned and discussed. Some may argue that long breaks allow students to review independently. This may work for some, but for those who may not have the confidence to speak up for themselves in class regarding their struggles, they may return home for an extended period of time without having the resources they need for their upcoming assessment and their general success. 

What’s unfair about these tests you may ask? It’s not the tests, themselves, but when they are given. Students all deserve breaks after forcing ourselves to push through the constant work always piling up every night. And having tests occur directly after week long breaks can make it so upon return, students can’t retain important information as well as they could have if the test was instead scheduled for immediately after days of review.

Students have time off of school, and teachers erroneously believe that they will all successfully return to school while maintaining the same level of focus and motivation as they had previously. This level of focus was created with our consistent schedule. 

These tests factor greatly into our grades, as a whole. I’ve had my fair share of experiences where I’m doing great in a class and maintaining a good overall average, just for it to plummet after coming back from a week break and taking a unit exam that accounts for more than half of my overall grade. 

We’re all students just trying our best to get by and pass, with some attempting to achieve more. Work overload can be stress-provoking and not only affect work ethic but self esteem, as well. Seeing those around you ace a test you thought you were well prepared for while your grade reflects otherwise is disappointing and discouraging.

While neither unit exams or breaks are disappearing anytime soon, there is a solution we can implement more often. Rather than setting an expectation for students to study for tests on their own, teachers should dedicate a few days minimum to review in preparation for the exam. Sometimes this is already the case, but the forms of review created by the teachers might not be all that effective. Asking students which way they learn best and providing them with review time that best suits their needs can improve their overall grade on their test. 

We all aim to be successful, and careful planning and consideration can go a long way. Reviews and lesson planning can either make or break a student’s potential and performance in the long run. Teachers should take time to check in daily with their students to monitor their progress. If teachers are aware of the curriculum they should not assign nor plan for major assessments to take place directly after a break where students may need time to reset. As students, and more importantly, young adults, we need time to effectively and carefully manage ourselves, our mindsets, and overall mental well-being if we wish to be our best selves and more importantly the best students we can all possibly be.